3.14.2012

Finally.

It's been 2 months almost to the day since I last went for a run. And it is less than 2 months until the Pittsburgh 5k.

A week or so ago I'd gone for a {very hilly} walk and was very worried about how out of shape I seemed. Huffing and puffing during a walk was something I'd not done in a couple of years.

So, when I slipped into my running shoes and headed for the trail in Wheeling (with my boss - no pressure there) I was a little nervous as she proudly announced we were somewhere in week 6 of the C25K program, which meant a 5 minute run and an 8 minute run.

To make this story short. I made it. AND I was pleasantly surprised with how out-of-shape-I-wasn't. My boss reminded me that those hills we walked were big, steep hills (and they were) and I fel better.

And the weather? A.ma.zing.

It was just the good start I needed to getting back out there.

I admit, I've dragged my feet. I've made excuses to not go before yesterday. And I've hoped. I hoped that I would have a big, but actually tiny, reason to take it easy and maybe focus on walks with my pups rather than runs.

But I don't.

So, I stopped straddling the fence of "what if I'm pregnant" and put both feet back on the side of the life I have now. And I ran. And it was so needed.

I didn't run far. Or fast. (not that I'm every fast) But what I did do, was just what I needed.

Seriously. Why does it take me so. darn. long. to figure out what I need to do? Maybe someday I'll have an answer.

Today, I'm going to rejoice in the fact that my widget moved from 411 to 414 and I'm going to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

12 comments:

  1. Good for you! I started my C25K a couple weeks ago and I'm so happy to be back out there. And I'm the slowest I have ever been but like I told my husband...I try to remember what I saw a few months back, "No matter how slow you are, you're lapping the guy on the couch." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Running is totally a free stress reliever and therapy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! As they say, you go, girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feels good to get back to exercise after surgery, doesn't it? I found that I actually missed it while I was recuperating! I agree, it's a great stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "One foot in front of the other." Amen!!
    Loving the weather here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE to run! It is such a stress reliever for me as well. I tend to not run as much during the 2WW and will do so lower impact exercise. There is nothing like going for a long run to clear my head. I wished we lived closer. We could be running buddies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did my first run on Monday. ughhh it hurt. Tonight is night 2. You up for a run Friday? Or Tuesday/Thursday next week. We are moving to Morgantown in May so I am hoping to renew our Healthworks pass - Swim maybe???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay running! I can't do it very well due to a major protest from my knees, but I love how running makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome, and that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much of a runner, but I'm lovin' this warm weather. Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If there is one consolation you can take while running, do this. Take that huffing and puffing you're doing and concentrate on how GOOD it is to pump that oxygen and blood around your body, cleansing and healing it. Our bodies are meant to try new limits, and that's exactly what you're doing every time you step into those shoes. Now about my 3 miles today....*ugh* :) Take my own advice.....

    ReplyDelete